Friday, May 15, 2009

Fitness vs. Rehab

When I think about this topic and what it means to me, I remember something that I heard Ron say more than once...

"Teach what you know and not what you don't know".

For me, it comes down to this simple statement. As Fletcher teachers we are trained to teach movement, not to "fix" injuries or diagnose. We are not physical therapists nor should we pretend to be. When I get frustrated because I cannot figure out why my client is having pain or isn't improving despite their hard work and dedication, I go to a physical therapist and ask questions or send my client to the therapist to have a screening. It is a wonderful thing to have a pt in your circle of go-to people so that you can get professional, medical answers. I strongly suggest building a good repore with a pt in your community. A lot of times they will want to take sessions with you so that they understand Pilates and have a better idea of what it is you are doing with your client. It will also only help you grow as a teacher and Pilates student. I believe we must all be ok with looking in the eyes of a client and saying, "I am not a physical therapist so I cannot diagnose, but I know someone great who can.

Having said that, I feel there is a natural, rehabilitative quality that is the very foundation of the Fletcher work. I know we have all felt this time and time again. It is that "something" that attracts us to the work. It is nourishment for our mind, body, and soul. It is what keeps us in the work and differentiates Fletcher Pilates from various other styles. We have all walked into a Fletcher class feeling stressed from the day and the moment we begin to breathe, we feel centered and connected. This feeling is priceless and by no means an accident. Let us not forget the positive and powerful effect Pilates can have on us, our clients, and our community.

1 comment:

  1. Restoration and rehabilitation is inherent in the Pilates Method. I think developing a mat class, client fitness plan, or an individual session in particular, is like a great recipe. Of all the "ingredients" (movements) at my disposal, which ones will bring about the best result today and most progress for tomorrow? I do my best to improve this ability with each client. After that, it's a matter of letting the Pilates do its work.

    ReplyDelete